Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Leaning on God's Help With Sugar & Carb Cravings

Do you reach out to God for help with your everyday struggles in life? Boy, I sure do. This is one of those times. I need and can only do this with God's help. This reminds me of an old hymn,
"Leaning on the Everlasting Arms".

"What a fellowship, what a joy divine, 
Leaning on the everlasting arms; 
What a blessedness, what a peace is mine,
Leaning on the everlasting arms.
Refrain: 
Leaning, leaning, safe and secure from all alarms;
Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms
Oh, how sweet to walk in this pilgrim way,
Leaning on the everlasting arms;
Oh, how bright the path grows from day to day,
Leaning on the everlasting arms.
What have I to dread, what have I to fear,
Leaning on the everlasting arms?
I have blessed peace with my Lord so near,
Leaning on the everlasting arms."

The following scripture Deuteronomy 33:27 (KJV) gives me great comfort.
Deuteronomy 33:27 (KJV) "The eternal God is thy refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms: and he shall thrust out the enemy from before thee; and shall say, Destroy them."

I want to start eating sugar free and low carbohydrate meals tomorrow. (I have been eating sugar and carbohydrates lately.) Sugar makes me feel bad after about 5-6 weeks, slow, joints ache, just plain old icky. It will take 4-6 days to get the sugar out of my system. The next few days will be sheer torture.

The first week after being sugar free is a time of my body getting Acclimated to no sugar and low carbohydrates. It is trying. It is hard. It is miserable. The second week and beyond I feel better. I have more energy. I actually need less sleep.

The past 33 days have been extremely stressful with my Mama's health crisis. I have eaten out more the past 32 days than I have the past two years. I am convinced eating out can be extremely unhealthy. I now have a new craving real hamburgers with real hamburger meat, onions, chill, lite mayo, hamburger buns. I need to get myself off the high carbohydrate foods.

Some people can gradually cut back on their sugar intake. I am not one of those kind of people.  I think sugar cravings are best tackled cold turkey. I find that after four to six days of no sugar, the cravings stop completely. If you are going to try a sugar free diet be careful of hidden sources of sugar in foods such as, sauces, salad dressings, cereal, tomato sauce, and non-dairy milks.

Don’t make the mistake of swapping one poison for another. Artificial sweeteners such as Splenda and Aspartame can create sugar cravings. Stevia is naturally sweet. I use Stevia in my hot tea. Stevia seems to be one of the few natural sweeteners that does not trigger sugar cravings for me.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment